Here are 10 ways to be as smart about exercising as you are about reading this paper.
1. Think Botox. Keep your face relaxed and tension-free.
2. Look out at eye level. Spares you neck strain.
3. Relax those hunched shoulders. Drop them as low as they comfortably go.
4. Lift your chest slightly. Slightly. Not into a military stance, chest thrusting and shoulders way back.
5. Lengthen your spine. Imagine a string pulling the top of your head up to the ceiling.
6. Tighten your abs. They support your lower back.
7. Don’t lock your knees. Keep ’em slightly bent.
8. Breathe. Count reps out loud to avoid holding your breath. As you inhale, relax your lower abs and fill your chest. As you exhale, suck in your abs to force air out.
9. Keep moving between exercises. It keeps your heart rate up.
10. As you get stronger, do a little more. With cardio, go a little longer. With weights, add more reps or use slightly heavier weights. Again, slightly. Use proper form to stay injury-free.
Put another way: To get stronger and leaner, do things right. Good form is way more important than how fast you move or how sweaty you get.
The YOU Docs, Mehmet Oz and Mike Roizen